[clug] Howto change /Title in PDFs?

Joshua Rich joshua.rich at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 05:28:28 MDT 2012

Hi Scott,

You can use ghostscript in a bash script to do this, here is a script I use
that you are free to use and adapt:

#!/bin/bash

GS_OPTS='-q -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sPAPERSIZE=a4
-dPDFSETTINGS=/printer'

if [[ $# == 0 ]]; then
    echo "Usage: $0 <article.pdf>"
    exit -1
fi

for input_file in $*; do
    if [[ $(file ${input_file} | grep PDF) == 1 ]]; then
        echo "${input_file} not a PDF, ignoring..."
    else
        title=$(basename ${input_file} .pdf)
        pdfmarks_file=$(tempfile)
        output_file_temp=${title}_tmp.pdf
        echo "[ /Title (${title}) /DOCINFO pdfmark" > ${pdfmarks_file}
        gs ${GS_OPTS} -sOutputFile=${output_file_temp} ${input_file}
${pdfmarks_file}
        mv -f ${output_file_temp} ${input_file}
    fi
done

Note, I haven't used this for quite some time since switching jobs around a
bit.  I don't think ghostscript has changed its parameters much though so
should still work.  Still have it in my ~/scripts directory for when needed
:)

Regards,

Joshua Rich