[clug] Howto change /Title in PDFs?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue Aug 14 21:51:15 MDT 2012

On 15/08/2012, at 13:05 , Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any suggestions for simple methods to change/create the Title for PDFs?

> The Title I wish to apply to the PDFs is the same as the PDF file-name
> minus the .pdf extension, `date "+%H%M_%d-%m-%Y"`

> scanbuttond (get button push) > scanimage (GRAY 8-bit) > imagemagick
> (convert to jpg) > imagemagick (convert to small pdf)

Have imagemagick output to a specific directory, with a converter monitoring that directory, updating the title, and placing the output in a different directory (e.g: "Scanned PDFs To Be Retitled" -> fix title -> "Scanned PDFs"). You could use this "waterfall" approach to handle OCR too ("Scanned PDFs to be OCRed" -> OCR package -> "Scanned PDFs to be Retitled"), assuming your PDFs have text in them that you'd like to be able to index/search/find.

Check out the Perl package PDF::API2 at http://search.cpan.org/dist/PDF-API2/lib/PDF/API2.pm

HTH
HAND
Alex

PS: I've had some inspiration, since I have a 300 page PDF manual for my camera which has no links between pages. Time to get into some serious programming and resolve this situation :)