[clug] 'Wired' on Dennis Ritchie

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Sun Oct 16 22:16:30 MDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 03:01:29PM +1100, Robert Edwards wrote:
> On 15/10/11 16:50, steve jenkin wrote:
> >Best article I've seen on dmr.
> >
> ><http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2011/10/thedennisritchieeffect>
> >
> >?It?s really hard to overstate how much of the modern information
> >economy is built on the work Dennis did.? [Rob Pike]
> >
> >?There?s that line from Newton about standing on the shoulders of
> >giants,? says [Brian] Kernighan. ?We?re all standing on Dennis? shoulders.?
> >

> I guess this list should contain at least a few more comments about the
> passing of dmr, who truly deserves our praise and gratitude.
>
> Kudos to you, Dennis. Your work will live on for generations to come.

I agree, the K&R book is still one of the best refernces (probably the best)
I have ever read.  The language C and the unix system are still so
incredibly useful and well thought out.  DMR gave us a lot of great work.

Vale DMR

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
sometimes the beauty is easy, sometimes you don't have to try at all