[clug] Donating to FOSS. What do people do?

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Thu Nov 3 19:36:59 MDT 2011

Hi Mike

> As for governance, all commits to the sourceforge git repositories are
> done by a small number of our staff. This isn't really a policy
> decision, it's just that nobody else has ever shown any interest in
> wanting to be a committer. Project direction is determined by the
> technical lead (i.e.me) and informed by the sourceforge bug and
> enhancement trackers.

Committing as such does not need to be restricted anyhow (and shouldn't be!), since you can have multiple repositories/branches active. What you want is one or a few gatekeepers for either the Trunk repository alone, or a few key branches.
But letting people create new branches/repos within your project and committing to it, really encourages contributions as it's so simple to do.

It's a nice side-effect of using a distributed version control system rather than cvs/svn.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com) MySQL services