[clug] Donating to FOSS. What do people do?

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Thu Nov 3 04:50:49 MDT 2011

Hi John

Be mindful that (a) "abandonware" or (b) "open source publishing" is not the same as (c) open source development. The latter is a collaborative effort.
(b) is a company doing everything internally with closed process and then publishing stuff under OSS license. It can be useful, but has issues in terms of encouraging contributions and overall process - it misses out on a lot of community benefits.
(a) is when code is no longer under active development (or even no longer maintained), or no more budget is available (hint hint) and the company graciously decides to put the code out there under OSS license. That actually has very little benefit. Note that my first company has been guilty of doing this long ago, look up the fidonet-xenia project on Sourceforge and see how little has been done with it since. I put it out because I was asked to, but effectively noone has really benefitted - not even the people asking. It's no longer of interest... a pretty big and neat but utterly dead code base.

Publishing on github or launchpad (bzr) is a good idea, or Collabnet/Codesion if you want to stick with SVN. Now, I'd recommend moving from SVN to bzr, git or mercurial (hg) because the latter are distributed revision control systems. It means that the repositories are independent of eachother, people can create their own branches to work in, you can keep a full copy (or multiple) internally - anything can be merged with anything, but! even if someone were to submit malicious patches or branches, the full history is visible and you can set to control merges into your published trunk at the aforementioned public sites. So you have your governance there, I think. Distributed version control systems have a history *graph* and that's critical to this.

It will still take a bit of effort/time though, you could do it on 0 budget if you and others put in the time for free, but as someone else wrote I'd make the case for having a minimal budget for maintaining it in this way. Answer questions, accept patches, put out bugfixes. Your organisation will see benefit as extra eyeballs find issues, provide solutions, and explore new ideas. Those benefits are unlikely to materialise just by "putting it out there".

Cheers,
Arjen.