[clug] Microsoft + Skype

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Tue May 10 18:54:00 MDT 2011

On 11/05/2011, at 10:50 , Jason wrote:

> … Microsoft having to provide documentation for all of their network protocols due to EU antitrust stuff. Was that correct? Does it apply to Skypes protocols?

I doubt that it will apply to Skype unless Microsoft assimilates the company. If they keep the brand separate but directed by the same board/directors, there's no reason why Skype would need to fall under the same rulings.

In the meantime, what's holding SIP back? Is it simply the case that Skype was in the right place at the right time and managed to get the greater share of the market?

Alex