[clug] Modern laptops, nVidia, Optimus and Linux

Michael Manning michael at michaelmanning.org
Wed May 4 15:08:02 MDT 2011

We just got a bunch of Latitude E6420 laptops at work from Dell with the
nVidia NVS4200 graphics card (don't quote me on the exact model number) and
found that they have recently added an option in the BIOS to disable the
Optimus feature. We were lucky enough to get the models with this
option.....

Once disabled you can run the standard nVidia drivers under Linux and get
the full 3D bling and performance out of the card. You obviously don't get
the benefit of the dynamic power saving but you at least get to use the card
which you paid for.

It all just works as advertised with the pre installed Windows 7... :-\

Not sure if a manufacturer/reseller will be able to reliably confirm that
this type of BIOS option is available or not before purchase unless you can
get an in store hands on yourself?

Hope this helps a bit.....

Michael Manning
@mmanningau