[clug] Advice request on upgrade to Debian Squeeze - local mirrors?

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 12:58:25 MDT 2011

I note that my recent purchase of the 8 DVDs of Squeeze supplies 29,000+
packages. My previously purchased (3) Lenny DVDs made available 12,567
new packages; of these, I have currently installed 956 packages on my
computer.

I have a gut feeling that the story will be similar after the upgrade to
Squeeze.  I also suspect that most of the installed/upgraded packages
will be on "Disk 1" of the 8 Squeeze disks.

While installing (and indexing) the contents of 8 DVDs has the
attractions of simplicity and foolproofness, I would welcome comments on
the alternative option of installing only "Disk 1" on my computer and
using a local Debian mirror to upgrade any installed packages that are
not supplied by "Disk 1".

If the latter is considered to be the preferable routine, I would also
welcome advice on which local mirror to add to my "apt/sources.list".
For the record, the only non-DVD entries in my present "apt/sources.list"
read:

> deb http://security.debian.org/lenny/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://www.fbreader.org/desktop/debian stable main

All comments/advice will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)