[clug] AGIMO bad bad bad - government input into agimo

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Thu Jan 20 18:09:54 MST 2011

Jim Croft wrote on 21/01/11 8:06 AM:
> But would the Custodians of the Architecture of Deep Thought listen to
> a lowly technically illiterate bureaucrat on a minor planet on the
> Outer Eastern Arm of the Galaxy?
>
> jim (clutching is open source towel)

I think I can say "yes", but maybe not always and never quickly...

Please be encouraged by this recent win.

Ron Skeoch of Muli Management caused the ATO to change it's AUSkey
"Windows & OS/X only" policy.

True, it's only a Java version, but it's something...

At the end of December a version was released.
I suspect that Ron paid for the 'conversion'.
I know he wants to get it rewritten in 'C'.

21-May-2010: Donna Benjamin complains AUSkey refuses to work on Linux.
<http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/347414/linux_users_cry_fail_over_ato_auskey_compatibility/>

And the ATO commenting it's all a bit to hard for them:
<http://www.itnews.com.au/News/176444,third-time-lucky-for-atos-digital-authentication.aspx>

The only ".gov.au" mention of AUSkey for Linux release.
Only a pointer to a CIO article.
No mention on ato.gov.au, abr.gov.au or sbr.gov.au
<http://www.egov.vic.gov.au/focus-on-countries/australia/government-initiatives-australia/economy-and-finance-australia/taxation-and-taxes-australia/tax-office-releases-auskey-for-linux.html>

This is the CIO article:
<http://www.cio.com.au/article/371690/tax_office_releases_auskey_linux/>

More background from LA president [2nd para]
<http://inodes.org/2010/07/08/linux-australia-presidents-report-july-2010/>