[clug] Forcing x.org to ignore a specific keyboard

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Thu Feb 24 19:22:47 MST 2011

This took too long to find out how it was done. So I'm sending it hear
where it should be searchable and findable by the next schmuck who wants
to do something like this.
I need the device nodes of the keyboard /dev/input/eventX
But I'm not using them as a keyboard so I want X to ignore it and just
the program using it to actually use it.

Adding the following lines to:
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf
Would probably also work adding them to /etc/X11/xorg.conf which gets
parsed before the above.

Section "InputClass"
         Identifier "1"
         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event2"
         Driver "evdev"
         Option "Ignore" "True"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
         Identifier "2"
         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event3"
         Driver "evdev"
         Option "Ignore" "True"
EndSection

Note that consoles will still get keyboard events from the ignored
device, just X will ignore it.

Work out which eventX nodes correspond to your specific keyboard by
looking at the output of
cat /proc/bus/input/devices | grep "Name\|Handers"
(Enjoy the fun of xorg telling you your cameras, tv cards and pc
speakers are keyboards)

Hal Ashburner

x.org xorg X11 xorg.conf ignore specific keyboard ignore specific input
device