[clug] Kindle 3 WiFi

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 15:06:21 MST 2011

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 07:47:38 +1100, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> On 25 February 2011 04:17, Felix Karpfen <felix.karpfen at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Meanwhile, Amazon has released "Kindle 3 WiFi".  It sells for $137
>> (close to what I paid for the Chinese tablet) and, according to the
>> published specs, it can access all the sites that offer copyright-free
>> eBooks for download.
>
> By "copyright-free", do you mean books on sites like Project Gutenburg
> or all DRM-free books?

The books that *I* want to read are all listed on "Project Gutenberg".

> From what I can tell by quickly looking around, Kindle 3 still doesn't
> support/use ePUB, which is what everyone else is using.  As such this
> would make it more difficult to download DRM-free ebooks directly onto
> the device.

Several sites, that offer ebooks in ePUB format, scored an mention on the
(very lengthy) Amazon sales-pitch; but "Project Gutenberg" did not.

The following entry (in the sales-pitch) also merits attention:

"FREE transfer of personal documents: You can send your personal
documents via e-mail as attachments to "name"@free.kindle.com. We'll
convert them to a Kindle-compatible format and deliver them to your
computer at the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com account
login. You can then transfer the document to your Kindle using your USB
connection."

Having wasted a bit of money and a lot of time on a purchased dud, I am
not eager to repeat the experience.  I have a gut feeling that the
"Kindle 3 hardware" is likely to be of better quality than that of my
Chinese tablet (which turned up its toes after 6 months of intermittent
use). However, since my grasp of computer capabilities is rudimentary, I
am looking for a forum of Kindle 3 users, to whom I can send "Kindle 3
user" problems as they arise.  The Amazon site lists such a forum, but
the quality of the offered answers (to a test question) was not
encouraging.

Thank you for the interest in my query and the prompt response.

Felix
--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)