[clug] very FAT linux filesystems or cluster pixes?

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Feb 24 02:50:03 MST 2011

Scott Ferguson wrote:
> Good idea. So was the fstab.php suggested by moncojhr.
>
> The smaller accounts don't have the advanced tab (where cron lives), but
> I'm guessing they all run same way as they all exhibit the same double
> space phenomena...
> Note: none of these accounts pay for the extra backup service the
> hosting company sells (I find ftp more reliable).
>
> cron job "cat /etc/fstab > ~/fstab_output" gives:-
>
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults,usrquota 1 1
> LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
> tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
> devpts /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
> sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /var/tmptmp /tmp ext2 loop,noexec,nosuid,rw 0 0
> //data1.companynamewashere/servername /backups cifs
> uid=root,credentials=/dumbplace/toputplaintextpwdwotswrongwithmd5 cifspw
> 0 0
>
> Note: I've slightly formatted and somewhat edited the output. As
> previously stated, hosting is outside my knowledge area... though samba
> for backups (with apologies to the Samba crew) if just um, different -
> my only experience with commercial backups was where https used (very
> fast, simple, and stable).

that's probably a network attached storage unit, a lot of those will
share as CIFS out of the box.

> From an industry perspective Steve is this standard? Does it make sense?

running quota on / is certainly interesting, rather than a seperate
/home/, but they probably have a reason for it. My guess is they've just
stuck a bog standard "click next until it asks for a reboot" centos
install on the box, installed cpanel, and are just letting it tick over.
That, sadly, seems to be the "industry standard" for most hosting
providers who buy a box with a free panel included.

> uname -r yields 2.6.18-53.1.6.el5PAE
> cat /etc/issue yields CentOS release 5.2 (Final) Kernel \r on an \m

ok...well...they obviously have an allergy to 'yum update', or their
cpanel licence renewal got lost in the post, but as above, it's about
normal.

--
--==--
Steve Walsh, RHCE