[clug] ssl and https

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Mon Feb 21 03:09:30 MST 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, dylan porter wrote:

> Right well my computer is a toshiba satellite l500d, it is running
> ubuntu 10.10. It has a realtek 8191se wifi card in it which i gave up on
> because the driver didnt work. I now have an asus usb wifi card that works.

Nice you got *something* working!

Did you stumble across this page when trying to get your 8191se working?

> My problem is that i cannot connect to some websites that have ssl and
> https, like facebook and sourceforge and it wont connect to instant
> messengers.

Can you describe the nature of the error you are receiving?  For example,
is the request timing out?  Is a dialogue box appearing and giving you an
error?  Are you getting an "invalid certificate" error or similar?

> The thing that confuses me is that i can connect to these things in my
> Windows XP virtual machine.

I suppose that's what you'd call a "workaround" :-)  Virtualisation is
wonderful.

Keep working at it.  We'll get it working.

> dylan porter

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.