[clug] Installing an Android OS onto a PC

Felix Karpfen felix.karpfen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 02:00:11 MST 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:30:23 +1100, Lana Brindley wrote:

> On 17 February 2011 14:26, Owen
> <rcook at pcug.org.au> wrote:

>>> This bar code reads:
>>>
>>>   market://details?id=com.amazon.kindle
>>>
>>> In case that helps. Decoded using the bar code scanner from
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/zxing/
>
> Then you just need to *focus the camera* on the QR code. Hold it still
> until it beeps, and it will give you the option to opent he URL.

Halfway there.

The flagged barcode scanner (barcodeScanner3.53.apk) is now on my
tablet.  It claims to be able to scan 2D barcodes.  When I open it, it
displays a thin red line with the instruction:

"Place a barcode inside the viewfinder rectangle to scan it"

And I can display the bar-code of interest on my PC.

But "scanning the bar-code" appears to be beyond my abilities.  And the
instructions in the "User Manual" are singularly unhelpful; they list the
available tweaks for taking photos but *nothing* about how to activate
the photo-option.

Does a 2D-scan take a long time?  Was I too impatient in waiting for the
"beep"?  And does the scan need a connection to the Internet?  By
default, my tablet's Internet connection is switched off (to conserve the
battery).

I would welcome comments/advice from someone who has successfully used
"barcodeScanner3.53.apk".

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen