[clug] IPv6 for home

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Thu Dec 29 17:44:32 MST 2011

Dear Internet. I am confused by your new fangled IPv6. Personally, I
think we should have jumped to IPv8, but I was overruled on that. So,
given the current schmozzle we find ourselves in, please advise:

 - I have a home network. Its done with cable and radio waves. Some of
the cables are blue, and some are gray if that matters. One of them is
green I think.

 - I have a DSL modem. Because Telstra are evil, it only gets 3.3mbit to
the Internet, but that doesn't seem relevant. However, it does claim to
get an IPv6 address, which is exciting.

 - I have a machine on the network (not the DSL modem) which hands out
IPv4 DHCP leases, as well as acting as a DNS server.

I'd like IPv6 to just magically work for the home network, and be able
to route packets to the Internets. I'd also like to keep DNS resolution
going via the home DNS server if possible, as DNS latency is a big
performance problem for me.

So, how should I do that?

- Should I run a DHCPv6 server on the DHCP machine? Does that really
mean running two copies of ISC dhcpd?

- Should I obtain an address range for use in my house, or should I just
use the netblock Internode hands my modem?

Please do my homework for me. I'm obsessed with the desire to experience
animated turtles, but not obsessed enough to have done any research at all.

Hugs and kisses,
Mikal