[clug] Fwd: Ubuntu compatible laptop

Sanders King sanders at mupanda.com
Mon Sep 27 18:24:24 MDT 2010

This may be too late for you, but a mate of mine just bought an Acer laptop
that Harvey Norman is selling as a loss leader.  He has installed Ubuntu
10.04 on it with no problems, though it does use binary drivers for the
video and wireless.

The specs are quite impressive for $798 ($898 - $100 supplier cashback):

Core i5 2.2Ghz (2 CPUs, 4 hardware threads)
4GB RAM
500 GB HDD
14" 1366x768 screen
DVD (no BluRay)
No bluetooth

The keyboard is a bit plasticy, but other than than it seems great.  Also,
he installed Ubuntu side-by-side with MS-Windows and the first Windows
update blew away grub.  An easy fix with Ubuntu Live on a memory stick, but
annoying nevertheless.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Sanders