[clug] Fwd: Ubuntu compatible laptop

Warren Gardner warrenjgardner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 04:14:24 MDT 2010

Well I was on the phone to India to inquire about Dell Vostro.

This was the start of a very confusing hour long phone call.  I was having a
little difficulty understanding the lady.  She may have had trouble
understanding me though I think it was more 'I'll answer your question with
what I want to tell you' in hope of getting a sale.

They will give me a computer without an OS on it. A Lat E6510 or one other
she did not mention.
Or with Win. Or with Ubuntu.
They would not sell with dual boot.
If I put an operating system on myself they will void my warranty (though
were still going to sell extended warranty knowing I would void it).

That story changed a little over the length of the phone call. By the end of
the conversation: I would be able to dual boot but if any driver
configurations etc are changed, I void the warranty.

Now I wonder how anyone manages to buy a computer with peace of mind.

Warren

Forwarded conversation