[clug] [OT-slightly] Annoying propriety dongle for DELL 1855 chassis

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Sep 21 03:01:44 MDT 2010

Yes, I have a Dell/Avocent KVM switch, but, sadly, it's in Sydney, in
use in my rack.

If you have a Dell account rep, you can try to get a 2161 or 4161 KVM
switch on "trial" for 45 days (which is how I picked which one to go
with), or you can buy the annoying dongles from Dell Europe [0] for
about 30 GBP, or around $60USD on ebay[1]

Does the unit come with a DRAC (Dell iLOM) port? you can use that to get
basic KVM functionality.

[0]
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=470-10633
[1] search for "New Dell F7009 PowerEdge 1855 KVM Front Dongle Cable"

Steve

--
--==--
Steve Walsh, RHCE