[clug] linux Digest, Vol 92, Issue 62

Conrad Canterford conrad at mail.watersprite.com.au
Thu Sep 2 04:32:35 MDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 19:17 +1000, Mike Carden wrote:
> And I have no idea what any of this might have to do with Bob's radio
> reception. I've been waiting for one of this list's radio amateurs to
> chime in with advice for Bob.

Perhaps someone using Broadband-over-powerline in a nearby house? I
didn't think ACTEW-AGL were playing with that, but I'm not sure. Another
possibility could be a neighbour who has installed a powerline-LAN
system. The stuff I've read strongly suggests that both these (closely
related) technologies are prone to splattering RF all over the place. It
might also be possible if Bob is using a mains-connected radio that
these types of signals might be entering the radio via the power cables.

I will freely admit to just guessing, however. I have recently
re-acquired my amateur licence, but that was on the basis of having held
one 20 years ago, not on the basis of current knowledge. My knowledge is
therefore quite rusty, and we all know rust is not conducive to a good
signal-noise ratio.

Conrad
VK2TCC