[clug] linux Digest, Vol 92, Issue 62

Jason Stokes glasper9 at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 2 02:43:00 MDT 2010

I'm not sure where Keith's 110 volts is coming from (perhaps
an ADSL carrier signal?) but the ring voltage on an ordinary telephone line
(ie, the voltage when the phone is ringing) is an AC signal
that varies between 40 and 150 Volts RMS (in old-style telephones,
it physically drives the telephone's ringer.)

Get even the lower bound across your heart and you have a heart attack. AC is
particularly good for inducing fibrillation.

So yes, even in normal operation you can get voltages across a telephone line
circuit that can kill you.

That about exhausts my knowledge of telcomm circuits, I'm afraid.