[clug] linux Digest, Vol 92, Issue 62

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Sep 2 02:18:22 MDT 2010

Andrew Boyd <facibus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Shocking!

Ha.

> Puns aside, is this acceptable? I know it's the amperage that kills, not the voltage, etc, but this sounds like something that might be dangerous.

People like to say "it's the current that kills, not the voltage" but
that shows a lack of understanding of electric currents. Current =
Voltage / Resistance, where Resistance is you. No voltage, no current,
high voltage, high current. Except it's a bit more complicated than
that, such as in the case of static electricity or power supplies with
high internal resistance. Also, your value as R changes based mostly on
moisture levels on the skin and where on your body you're measuring.

The short answer is yes, 110V is quite dangerous and can easily be lethal.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au