[clug] A "mount" defeat - was Re: Persuading Debian to talk to an Android tablet via USB?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Oct 21 16:48:14 MDT 2010

On 22/10/2010, at 07:56 , Felix Karpfen wrote:

> I would be grateful for pointers to what I need to look for - just to
> spare me from purchasing more duds.

Logitech make a nice neat little four-port USB 2.0 powered hub[1]. It's delivering enough current to charge my iPhone, not quite enough to charge the iPad (but then the iPad wants 10W, and is shipped with a custom charger which can deliver the above-standard current).

I've had computers shipped with USB 2.0 ports that couldn't even provide enough power for a particularly hungry USB thumb drive. All I got from Windows at the time was the sounds indicating that a USB device had connected, disconnected, connected, disconnected, etc. Plug the same thing into one of the sockets on the keyboard on a Mac and at least the Mac warns me, "this device is requesting more power than the socket can provide."

Oils ain't oils.
Alex

[1] http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Technology/Networking-and-Wireless/USB-Hubs/BJLOG0762 - I'm recommending this one because I'm a happy customer.