[clug] Multi-seating (linux Digest, Vol 94, Issue 17, Message 8)

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Oct 13 17:13:29 MDT 2010

On 14/10/2010, at 09:50 , Miles Goodhew wrote:

>> Does anyone have experience with multi-seating in linux?  I am wanting
>
>  No, but it has always intrigued me how you'd cobble-together an
> X-setup with multiple input devices and screens to do so.

The hardest part will be separating the keyboards and mouses from each other. I recall some people from CLUG waaay back in the day achieving something like this by dedicating the PS2 keyboard & mouse to one display, the USB devices to the other. This was before /dev/mouse and other such virtual devices (back in the day when only rich people had /dev/sdN).

>  Wow!, 2 users sharing a single Z-series Atom! (Does each user have
> to bring their own AA battery? :-)

A single Z-series Atom has more processing power than a circa 1995 CAD workstation such as an Apollo.

Alex