[clug] HOWTO: 3G via bluetooth phone on Debian Linux

Adam Thomas adam.lloyd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 17:25:11 MST 2010

On 14 November 2010 16:29, Ian Munsie <darkstarsword at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The other night at PSIG Bob asked me about my Internet connection. I
> was connected to Optus mobile broadband using my Nokia N900 as a
> bluetooth modem. I said I'd write a blog entry about it with the
> scripts I use for it and so here it is:
>

> http://darkstarshout.blogspot.com/2010/11/3g-bluetooth-on-debian-linux.html
>> "last time I checked out Network Manager I found that it could set up a USB 3G
>> modem pretty easily but had zero provisions to set up a bluetooth modem, and
>> the Linux bluetooth stack (bluez) also leaves something to be desired"

There has been a fair amount of work on the Gnome BlueTooth projects
and the Network Manager project to get BT modems setup in a few
clicks.

I have used BlueMan[0] in the past to simplify the rfcomm steps but it
appears that newer versions of the BlueTooth applet in Gnome can do
that step now too[1].

[0]: http://blueman-project.org/
[1]: http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/07/10/unwire-with-networkmanager/

The setup of the APN, chat scripts and the actual dial-up/hang-up has
been hidden from me for a while as Ubuntu (and Debian too) have been
shipping config templates for a whole lot of service providers that
Just Work(TM) via the Network Manager's Mobile Broadband setup wizard.