[clug] [OT] networked remote controlled power sockets

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at ozlabs.org
Wed Nov 10 16:41:34 MST 2010

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 07:48:51 +1100
steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> "'Smart' plugs ready to quash office stand-by power"
> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20022360-54.html>
>
> Questions:
>  - Does anyone think these are a good or bad idea for homes?
>    Esp. how do TV's and other equipment with 'standby' react?

I wouldn't do it to devices with hard disks like Tivos even if you know
they're not going to record anything at night.  And its worth getting a
power monitor to check just how much your devices actually use. For
example, my TV purchased about 4 years ago only draws a 1-2W when on
standby.

>  - What about in offices? (PC + LCD ?)

Again, as long as they're in standby most PC's and LCDs these days do
not draw a significant amount of power. Its worth checking first before
adding another a device which is going to draw power itself.

> At first blush I thought "something new", after a few minutes, "just
> another onto the (home network/mgt) bandwagon".

Well I'm always up for a bit more home automation. Have a web page to
control all the lights in the house now. The easier it is to turn
off lights, the more likely I'm going to actually do it :-)

Chris
cyeoh at ozlabs.org