[clug] [OT] networked remote controlled power sockets

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Nov 10 16:21:23 MST 2010

On 11/11/2010, at 09:48 , jeff wrote:

> 1) the European standard for electronic equipment in standby is that it must consume less than 1W. For most devices this is easily done.

We do not have this standard in Australia.  Write to your local MP and suggest that we do something about it.  I have devices at home that consume as much power on "standby" as they do when operating - "standby" mode just switches off all the ultra-bright bling… sorry, LEDs.

> 2) How much power do these and other "smart power point" consume? Done properly these devices should consume much, but I have my doubts.

Depends. Some cheap ones will consume 20W because they use crappy power supplies, the ones I bought use 2W.

> You could end up consuming more power than you save and thus costing you more than even before you take into account the added cost of the device itself.

This has been discussed before, of course :)

Thread starts with, "CO2 footprint of Searches: Storm in A Tea Cup or Deep Green Issue?" - http://lists.samba.org/archive/linux/2009-September/025219.html

HTH
HAND

Alex Satrapa | web.mac.com/alexsatrapa | Ph: +61 4 0770 5332