[clug] [OT] networked remote controlled power sockets

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 13:58:23 MST 2010

On 11 November 2010 07:48, steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> "'Smart' plugs ready to quash office stand-by power"
> <http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20022360-54.html>
>
> Questions:
>  - Does anyone think these are a good or bad idea for homes?
>   Esp. how do TV's and other equipment with 'standby' react?

I can think of one problem: what happens if you tell it to turn off
the power to your TV between say 1AM and 6AM, but that one time you
wanted to stay up to watch a movie that went to 2AM?

>  - At $40-60 for 2 points, would any of you being
>   racing out to buy more than one?

I wouldn't even buy one; at least not until other people have done and
more than one "pilot project" has proven that it is worth it.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com
IvanMiljenovic.wordpress.com