[clug] Sarcasm detection

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Fri May 28 01:12:52 MDT 2010

Nemo Maelstrom Thorx <clug at nemo.house.cx> writes:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 02:43:35PM +1000, Daniel Pittman did utter:
>>
>> Instant communication like IM or the telephone has all the drawbacks of
>> that loss of information *and* all the drawbacks of the expectation of
>> instant response, making it the worst option.
>
> otoh, instant feedback is usually the best when it comes to resolving
> misinterpretation, so it's not all bad. I don't think IM/IRC is any better
> or worse than email in this regard for that very reason.

So-so.  It is hard to tell when you (and the rest of the audience) are sitting
there silently thinking I am a right idjit unless you actually say so; that
risk is the one I identify.

I think, though, that everyone is different about where they rate the options
against each other and all.

[...]

> SMS is the worst imho, since it combines limited length, the clumsy
> interface of most phones, and a cost which tends to limit the
> clarifications/response likelihood that you might get in any other medium

Yeah, I can't disagree with you there.  I look forward to the day that someone
has a phone network that uses XMPP instead.[1] ;)

> and then there is the hand-written letter has a personalised charm too,
> but terrible latency...

If only we still had six postal pickup and delivery rounds a day.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  This will never happen because XMPP was designed poorly, and just doesn't
     really scale the way it should, but such is life.  XMPP2, I guess.