[clug] Android in the Business Press

Jeff jeffm at ghostgun.com
Sun May 16 20:53:15 MDT 2010

On 17/05/10 9:58 AM, Michael Still wrote:
>> Can you point me to directions on how to do this as an end user, ie
>> non-developer?
>

> Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Check "Unknown Sources"
>
> Then click on a URL to an APK on a web site, or enter a URL to an APK
> in the browser address bar. The application will be installed like any
> other.

I must have been playing with this before as I already have it set. I'll
have to find something interesting to install. A video player comes to mind.

>> Likewise, is there an app or config setting to configure your own
>> contact provider? This is something which may be of interest to others.
>> I haven't been paying as mush attention to setting up android as I
>> should I suppose.
>
> Providers are an SDK thing (think interface that an application must
> implement)... You need to find an app which implements what you want
> (or write one). For example, the Facebook app does this sort of thing,
> but might not be the right choice for you.
>
>>> Oh, and you can iterate over all contacts on the phone reasonably
>>> easily as well:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/msg/3af54436c19c83e7?pli=1
>>>

>> Yeah, one of these days I might actually get around to writing apps like
>> I planned in the meantime I'm just an end user.
>
> Yeah, I'd be searching for an app which does what you want. My point
> is more that there isn't anything on the phone forcing this behaviour,
> but that doesn't mean anyone has thought its important enough to
> actually write an alternative.

I'll have to do a search for one or failing that I'll have to start writing.

Thanks. Next time someone brings up these two criticisms  with Android,
and you be surprised how often it comes up in conversation with friends
when comparing phones, I can supply an exact fix.

Jeff.
ps. Now have a couple of apps installed from androidfreeware.org