[clug] Android in the Business Press

Michael Manning michael at michaelmanning.org
Sun May 16 18:52:53 MDT 2010

Hi Jeff,

To get around the contact listing problem of late I have been using
"Gesture" which searches via characters drawn on the screen local contacts,
apps, web history etc. (All configureable of course).

Cheers,
Michael Manning
http://twitter.com/mmanning13

On 17/05/2010 9:59 AM, "Michael Still" <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:

On 5/17/10 9:46 AM, Jeff wrote:

> On 14/05/10 4:41 PM, Michael Still wrote:
>>
>> Jeff wrote:

Home -> Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Check "Unknown Sources"

Then click on a URL to an APK on a web site, or enter a URL to an APK in the
browser address bar. The application will be installed like any other.

>>> * you can backup you contacts to YOUR computer not "the cloud"
>>> get a decent share of the m...
Providers are an SDK thing (think interface that an application must
implement)... You need to find an app which implements what you want (or
write one). For example, the Facebook app does this sort of thing, but might
not be the right choice for you.

>> Oh, and you can iterate over all contacts on the phone reasonably
>> easily as well:
>> http://...
Yeah, I'd be searching for an app which does what you want. My point is more
that there isn't anything on the phone forcing this behaviour, but that
doesn't mean anyone has thought its important enough to actually write an
alternative.

Mikal