[clug] Android in the Business Press

Jeff jeffm at ghostgun.com
Thu May 13 19:56:26 MDT 2010

On 14/05/10 11:41 AM, Hal wrote:

> Open platforms with competition among applications is the only way
> forward. And I'd pay extra for the assurance from apple, microsoft,
> google, steam, KPMG or anyone else that this app I bought from their
> store rather than the existing alternatives, is not malware, but only
> if their assurance was worth it and the assurance service can only be
> worth it if it's competitive. The biggest winners from the arrival of
> firefox are IE users by a big margin.
Here's a challenge for someone: Come up with a review mechanism for an
app store, so that, you can have apps available that are review by
reviewer who, up to a certain percentage, by be malicious.

Of course, you'd also automatically scan the apps for know problems, but
having reviews you can trust in the face of those attempting to game the
system would be a big plus.

> The Nokia N900 is a lovely, lovely phone and a lot of hardware for
> A$650. I love mine. The SDK is free. I'm sure an iphone doesn't do the
> things I want as well as the N900. If only it could get the market
> share to make it a useful target for commerical devs as well as people
> like us. I suppose Android has a shot.
I would be nice to see a half decent phone where
   * app stores weren't the only way to install apps and
   * you can backup you contacts to YOUR computer not "the cloud"
get a decent share of the market.

Jeff.