[clug] Android in the Business Press

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Fri May 14 00:41:54 MDT 2010

Jeff wrote:

> I would be nice to see a half decent phone where
>   * app stores weren't the only way to install apps and

You can install arbitrary APKs on Android (i.e. an APK from a random web
page).

>   * you can backup you contacts to YOUR computer not "the cloud"
> get a decent share of the market.

That's interesting. You can certainly implement a contact provider which
appears to the user to be just like the one that stores in the cloud.
For example, on my phone contacts from Gmail and Facebook are both
treated as equal citizens (and merged in the UI in a sensible manner).

Oh, and you can iterate over all contacts on the phone reasonably easily
as well:
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/msg/3af54436c19c83e7?pli=1

Mikal