[clug] Anti-Virus Software

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 23:39:37 MDT 2010

On 2010/Jun/22, at 2:56 PM, Kevin Pulo wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 01:44:47PM +1000, Brett Worth wrote:
> Looks like I'm gunna need some AV software for my Linux systems.
> Maybe I could run some
>> in a VM or under Wine.  :-)
>>
>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/no-anti-virus-software-no-internet-connection/story-e6frfro0-1225882656490
>
> What caught my eye, and is more chilling and less silly, is this:
>
> "Companies who release IT products with security vulnerabilities
> should be open to claims for compensation by consumers."

Kind of a contradiction there, isn't there?  If you release an OS that
is so insecure that you daren't use it without AV software wouldn't
that qualify for "open to claims for compensation"?

> How is that likely to affect free software?  eg, how would such a
> measure interact with the GPL's (and others') "No warranty, no
> liability" clauses?

Wouldn't affect debian.  Not a company is it?

> Could every buffer overflow be a potential
> lawsuit/class action?

Unlikely.

> Don't get me wrong, I hate vulnerable software as much as the next
> person,

There's software that isn't "vulnerable"?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant