[clug] Anti-Virus Software

Ivan Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 23:04:30 MDT 2010

On 22 June 2010 14:56, Kevin Pulo <kev at pulo.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 01:44:47PM +1000, Brett Worth wrote:
>
>> Looks like I'm gunna need some AV software for my Linux systems.  Maybe I could run some
>> in a VM or under Wine.  :-)
>>
>> http://www.news.com.au/technology/no-anti-virus-software-no-internet-connection/story-e6frfro0-1225882656490
>
> What caught my eye, and is more chilling and less silly, is this:
>
> "Companies who release IT products with security vulnerabilities
> should be open to claims for compensation by consumers."

So that means that there won't be any new releases of Windows or OSX
available in Australia?

I'd also be interested in how these compensation claims would be
arranged, as I can just see scammers (e.g. the people who keep falling
down stairs to be able to sue hotels, etc.) being the main
beneficiaries of such legislation.

> Even then, the idea of having to maintain code I've given away, but
> might not care about anymore, to avoid being sued, is not a great
> feeling.

If a user didn't upgrade, who's liable?  How about if they have to pay
for that upgrade?

We will never have 100% guaranteed foolproof software (not unless we
want to do full on proofs in agda or coq about every line of code, and
even then how can we trust our compilers), so this seems to be a
dubious proposal by people who have no idea what they're talking
about.

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com