[clug] Interesting XEN Problem

Amitay Isaacs amitay at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 18:43:25 MDT 2010

Hi Troy,

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Troy Heland <troyjh at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tell a lie...
>
> Alt-F10 (Emergency console maybe?) shows me something.
>

> Kernel out of memory: Killed Process xxxx [mrouter].
> Kernel out of memory: Killed Process xxxx [python].
>
> Both of these messages appear many many times.  The last line says:
>
> Last message repeated 13448 times.
>
> (Still can not access a command line)

Looks like your XEN virtual machines are hogging all the memory, causing
kernel to run out of
memory. It might be a good idea to review the settings of xen and the
virtual machines. Make sure
not too much memory is allocated to the virtual machines and a limit is set
on the memory used
by Dom0.

The only way you can get access to the server is probably shutting down one
of the virtual
machines to release sufficient memory for the kernel to operate all the
processes properly.
Better solution would be to update the xen/VM configuration and reboot the
server.

May be xen best practices might be a useful starting point.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenBestPractices

Amitay.