[clug] /dev/snd permissions

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Thu Jul 8 02:16:39 MDT 2010

Gary Woodman <antigramp at yahoo.com.au> writes:
> --- On Thu, 8/7/10, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
>
>> This is why it's always best to make /home a separate volume - after I
>> reinstalled I kept on finding that everything had remembered my personal
>> settings even if I had to install the package anew :-)
>
> That is good when it works; but there's always the risk that an upgrade will
> bring in a newer app with a different config format, and the old config file
> breaks the app or causes unforseen behaviour.

That is very seldom a problem, and (IMO) if the developers are so bad at their
job that an old configuration file causes their software to crash you are
better off without it.

Now, if you *downgrade* and retain configuration files you are more likely to
see forgivable problems, because writing code that is forward-compatible is a
bit harder than backward-compatible.

        Daniel

Not by much, however.