[clug] /dev/snd permissions

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Sun Jul 4 04:02:55 MDT 2010

Hi Eyal,

On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:29:15 +1000 Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:

> Since my f12 upgrade (and yesterday f13) I cannot use mplayer (it hangs). I now
> figured out why: /dev/snd/ devices need o+rw permissions. This was not an issue
> with older fedoras.
>
> I now added the setting to my rc.local but surely there is a better (more correct) way
> to do this. What is it?

[Not particular to FC, but ...]

If the device files are owned by a particular group and read/write by the
group, you could put yourself in that group.

Also, I seem to remember that there is a pam module that will make
certain things available to people logged in on the console ...

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/