[clug] Terminal Control Sequences

David Schoen dave at lyte.id.au
Sat Jul 3 17:38:53 MDT 2010

Chances are $PROMPT_COMMAND has a value and is causing the title to be
updated back to what your distro has configured immediately after
running your command to update the window title.

Try this (I'm assuming bash):
$ unset PROMPT_COMMAND
$ echo -ne '\033]0;Window title here\007' > /tmp/test
$ cat /tmp/test

That should statically update the window title once.

Chances are you want to do something more sophisticated though.

I use a prompt command that displays the current time (useful if you
start something that runs a long time and forgot to run it in 'time')
it also displays the exit status for the last command. Neither of
which are absolutely required, but they can be quite useful when
something runs unexpectedly long or fails in a non-obvious way.

Cheers,
Dave