[clug] ADSL modem recommendations

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sun Jan 24 00:30:50 MST 2010

On 23/01/2010, at 13:24, Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:

> Don't know is Alastair will admit to his soft side but one reason for
> spending here is presumably to save the planet rather than his

Does the one he has still work? If so, any replacement is wasteful.
The fact that another box had to be manufactured at all tips the
scales heavily away from the "sensible" end of the scale.

I was excited for about an hour researching the Alix 1 XL, then I
thought about what I'd actually be doing: replacing my functional if
dodgey D-Link ADSL modem and Linksys wireless router with a $1000 PC.
I'd prefer to spend that money on a remote control powerboard to let
me reboot the D-Link when it hangs.

Then again when the D-Link hanging will cause the loss of several
billion ISK worth of freighter and its cargo of advanced technology
components in EVE...