[clug] [OT] IP range of a domain?

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Jan 20 21:16:40 MST 2010

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Carlo Hamalainen wrote:

> Is there any easy way to get the IP range of a domain, for example
> brs.iprimus.net.au? I'm trying to add a rule to my firehol
> configuration and logically I am trying to get *.brs.iprimus.net.au in
> terms of IP addresses.

Hi Carlos.

> Can this be done?

Only if you could manage to get a copy of the DNS zone file which is
unlikely unless you are on very good terms with the owners of
brs.iprimus.net.au.

Without the zone file you can't predict what IP addresses may be mapped in
to that domain.  The owners of brs.iprimus.net.au are free to assign
hostnames or subdomains anywhere on the Internet they please.

If you had some idea of the naming scheme they use you could try to brute
force it by cycling through what you think is the entire set they use for
hostnames, but this is a poor method for several reasons.  The accuracy of
this method is dependent on how well you guess their naming scheme, and in
any case is very heavy on the network.   I only mention it so as to
disuade you if you were contemplating using it :)

Cheers,

Rob

Email: robert at timetraveller.org
IRC: Solver
Web: http://www.practicalsysadmin.com
I tried to change the world but they had a no-return policy