[clug] Follow-up developments - was Canon 4000 printer?

Jeff Stiff smee.heee at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 19:26:25 MST 2010

2010/1/17 Felix Karpfen <felix at spodzone.org.uk>

> On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 01:18:56 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:35:58 +1100, Michael Carden wrote:
> >

> >> Felix, there are a *lot* of hits on Google for this CUPS error.
> >
> > I was blaming everything except CUPS :( !
> >
> And CUPS is not the guilty party!
>
> As a last fling, I attempted to install the Canon printer on "Puppy
> Linux" OS. This also uses CUPS to install printers.
>
> And everything worked - including the test-page print.
>
> Now what?
>
> I have "Puppy Linux" sitting on a spare partition on my computer;
> hitherto, I have regarded it as a toy and made no serious attempt to
> use it.  And that is my preferred option.
>
> G'Day Felix,

The issue may still be with CUPS.  This is just based on what advice has so
far been given.  Are the CUPS versions, and the printer definition file
versons the same on both your machines, debian and puppy?  As someone
mentioned that newer versions had known troubles.

As far as Puppy goes, I love.  It is a simple, usable system, that seems to
easily detect most hardware.  I know some don't like it since it runs
everything as a root type user, but aside from that, it is very usable.  I
used it exclusively on my laptop until a few months ago when I decided to
try the various Ubuntu flavours.  I still prefer Puppy over Ubuntu, but I
guess that will change with time.

Glad to hear you got the printer working, even if it is just from Puppy at
present.

Cheers,
Jeff.