[clug] (OT?) NTFS 'Junction Points'

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Jan 14 17:41:57 MST 2010

On 15/01/2010, at 07:55 , steve jenkin wrote:

> Reading a ZDnet article, I found mention of 'junctions' in Win 7.
>
> Wikipedia describes them in NTFS 3.0:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS_junction_point>
>
> These look like _hard_ links for directories to me…

Based on reading the EVE Online wiki page on running multiple clients using one installed version of the game[1], "junctions" sound to me like "bind" mounts under Linux (where you can remount part of the hierarchy of a file system somewhere else).

So, yes, they're "hard links" of directories where two different locations in the file system hierarchy are actually the same directory.

Alex

[1] http://wiki.eveonline.com/wiki/Multiple_clients