[clug] Follow-up developments - was Canon 4000 printer?

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Thu Jan 14 14:35:58 MST 2010

> Then I asked CUPS to print its "test page" - and crashed with the
> following message:
>
> "Unable to open parallel port device file: Permission denied"

Felix, there are a *lot* of hits on Google for this CUPS error. So
many in fact, that I couldn't find the One True Answer after reading
half a dozen of them. Plenty of hacky permission changing fixes that
will get you printing but don't fix the core problem though. Seems
something is odd with udev rules or with group permissions or some
related thing.

Here's a Debian specific report:

And the Fedora forums had this as a fix:
sudo chmod 0700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/parallel

I don't have a definitive answer for you though.

--
MC