[clug] Follow-up developments - was Canon 4000 printer?

Felix Karpfen felix at spodzone.org.uk
Thu Jan 14 12:34:52 MST 2010

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 21:33:25 +0000, Felix Karpfen wrote:

> printer was likely to have all the printer-features that I was looking
> for.

I received an email from Jeff Stiff, offering me a Canon BJC-4130SP
printer that he no longer used.

I accepted the offer and installed the printer in my Debian Lenny box.

No problems.

CUPS found the printer, suggested the appropriate driver (bjc600.ppd)
and then installed and configured the printer as directed.

So far, so good!

Then I asked CUPS to print its "test page" - and crashed with the
following message:

"Unable to open parallel port device file: Permission denied"

which is beyond me.

Jeff Stiff suggested that CLUG might be able to help; I am therefore
flagging the problem, as suggested.

Additional info, that may also be relevant, includes:

1. The Canon printer uses my "parallel port";

2. The following entries in my /dev directory may mean something to
experts:
crw-rw---- 1 lp lp 99, 0 2010-01-14 20:42 parport0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 2010-01-14 20:42 lp0 (my default HP printer?)

 and

3. "hardinfo" (which assembles and displays entries in the /proc
directory) reports that the Canon printer has been installed.

All advice/suggestions will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)