[clug] Linux and Amateur Radio

Keith Goggin keith.goggin at bigpond.com
Tue Jan 12 05:08:26 MST 2010

Mike Carden wrote:
> Are there enough Amateur Radio cluggers or cluggers with an interest
> in electronics / radio to start something new, or are the radio / make
> / clug lists enough?
Well now that you mention it I've just installed gEDA (Gpl'ed Electronic
Design Automation) and easy_spice in both linux mint8 and ubuntu 9.10
and I can't get either to go. I can't even access basic symbols like
resistors. I'm trying to do only the most trivial circuit  design and
thought this might be fun.

I have a clean install with all updates of Ubuntu 9.10 and
gEDA/Easy_spice an extract of the log on mint follows. I get almost the
same on Ubuntu except for the required gschemrc which is found. Any help
would be appreciated.

gEDA/gschem version 1.4.3.20081231
gEDA/gschem comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; see COPYING for more details.
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
conditions; please see the COPYING file for more details.

Read system-gafrc file [/etc/gEDA/system-gafrc]
Did not find optional ~/.gEDA/gafrc file [/home/kg/.gEDA/gafrc]
Did not find optional local gafrc file [/home/kg/gafrc]
Did not find required system-gschemrc file [/etc/gEDA/system-gschemrc]
Did not find optional ~/.gEDA/gschemrc file [/home/kg/.gEDA/gschemrc]
Did not find optional local gschemrc file [/home/kg/gschemrc]
Read init scm file [/usr/share/gEDA/scheme/gschem.scm]
New file [/home/kg/untitled_1.sch]
Tried to set the sensitivity on non-existent menu item 'Edit/Cut Buffer'
Tried to set the sensitivity on non-existent menu item 'Edit/Copy Buffer'
Tried to set the sensitivity on non-existent menu item 'Edit/Edit...'