[clug] Bidding for jobs - Was developer to restrict ssh

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Jan 11 16:17:52 MST 2010

On 11/01/2010, at 23:47 , David Tulloh wrote:

> What does the collective wisdom of the list think?  Is it better to play down your skills but still maintain you can do the job, or portray yourself as Dr. Wonderful and here to save the day.

I, personally, am suspicious of anyone who reports two years of experience with a technology that was released last year. Or people who claim involvement with a particular open source project but when asked to detail their experience, they tell you that they submitted a bug report (without a patch) to correct a spelling error in part of the documentation.

Other than that, talk it up all you want.

I don't, for example list "experienced with Cisco IOS" since the last time I was exposed to the travesty that is the Cisco command line interface, was so long ago that I can't even remember what the router looked like.

Then there are the employers who base their hire/no-hire decision on whether you are intimately familiar with the "..." operator in Perl.

So be aware that there is silliness on both sides of the interview desk.

Alex