[clug] Printer supplies - advice sought

Felix Karpfen felix at spodzone.org.uk
Fri Jan 8 01:42:51 MST 2010

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 12:35:32 +1100, Brians wrote:

> 1) Some printers are better supported by linux and in my experience HP
> is one.

I consider that the HP software packages (which work in a Linux
environment) to be just great.

But I have problems with the hardware,

I would gladly pay more money for a printer that is more robust.  But the
extra money just appears to buy extra features (fax machine; copier; huge
print volume [laser printer]) that I neither need nor want. I would even
cheerfully forego the multi-colour feature, if I could find an inkjet
printer that runs with only a black cartridge.  I now use the CUPS
software to tell the printer to ignore its colour cartridge.

I am starting to regret that I threw out my old Epson impact printer; it
was built like a tank!  In its day, the printer ribbons cost $10!  And it
had a vertical sheet-feeder!

> 4) Getting ethernet & Postscript usually means a getting a slightly more
> expensive printer and it is usually better built and has better paper
> handling so generally less problems.

To me, these seem just more features that I will never use.  And I would
probably tie myself in knots while learning how to configure such a
printer.

Felix Karpfen
--
Felix Karpfen