[clug] Submerged PC (White Oil) & TV Capture Cards

Jeff Stiff smee.heee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 18:15:36 MST 2010

2010/1/6 Neil Pickford <neilp at goldweb.com.au>

> My concern would be any inductive Radio Frequency (RF) components in the
> tuner part of your capture card.  The essential parameters of inductive
> components will change if a different dielectric (oil rather than air) is
> substituted.
>
> <Snipped>
> I would measure and note all your signal levels & Bit Error Rates before &
> after immersion of the tuner card if it still works.
>
> BTW are you planing to immerse the PSU too?
>
> You need to be pretty scrupulous about any impurities in the oil that could
> lower its insulation with higher voltages such as the mains AC.
>

> Neil, and the list,

I will follow your suggested testing for the tv card, and see if it makes a
difference.  It is really my only concern here.

I was planning on submerging the PSU as well.  This was again based on what
the original link I posted showed.  Again, to take it slowly, I might start
with just the motherboard and 1 tv card in the oil, see how it goes, if it
all works, then I can try with the PSU, then the rest of the tv cards.

The sourcing of the oil in Australia seems to be the biggest hurdle, as it
does need to be impurity free as you mention.

Cheers,
Jeff.