[clug] alsa config for MythTV (spdif)

Jeff Stiff smee.heee at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 00:17:37 MST 2010

2010/1/5 Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au>

> In the last few months even after upgrading MythTV and Fedora (currnetly
> 12), I have been getting these " WriteAudio: buffer underrun" messages in my
> Mythfrontend log which causes pauses during playback.
>
> So I'm trying to review my ALSA setup which I admit I just copied from the
> Wiki, so if anyone has some advice I would be glad to hear it.
>
> I'm using an on board nvidia sound card which I'm outputting my SPDIF to my
> AMP.
>
> Note the current setup does produce sound and it seems good to me but
> perhaps if there is a way to optimise the buffers perhaps this might fix the
> issue I have with the buffer underrun.
>

> # cat /etc/asound.conf
> #Generated by system-config-soundcard
> #If you edit this file, don't run system-config-soundcard,
> #all your changes here could be lost.
> #SWCONF
> #DEV 0
> defaults.pcm.card 0
> defaults.pcm.device 0
> defaults.ctl.card 0
>

> Sorry Paul, I can not help with the asound.conf file, as none of my Myth
machine (3) have that file.  However, I do wonder if the pauses are caused
by the buffer underrun you reported. As my logs are full of the same
WriteAudio: buffer underrun message, they seem to be a few seconds apart,
but I do not notice any pause when watching anything, including HD.

I seem to recall something to do with the video causing stuttering, I will
have a look to see if I can find what that was.  But I would probably stop
looking at the audio at present, and focus more on the video settings.

Hope this helps,
Jeff.