[clug] alsa config for MythTV (spdif)

Paul mylists at wilsononline.id.au
Mon Jan 4 23:09:31 MST 2010

In the last few months even after upgrading MythTV and Fedora (currnetly
12), I have been getting these " WriteAudio: buffer underrun" messages
in my Mythfrontend log which causes pauses during playback.

So I'm trying to review my ALSA setup which I admit I just copied from
the Wiki, so if anyone has some advice I would be glad to hear it.

I'm using an on board nvidia sound card which I'm outputting my SPDIF to
my AMP.

Note the current setup does produce sound and it seems good to me but
perhaps if there is a way to optimise the buffers perhaps this might fix
the issue I have with the buffer underrun.

# cat /etc/asound.conf
#Generated by system-config-soundcard
#If you edit this file, don't run system-config-soundcard,
#all your changes here could be lost.
#SWCONF
#DEV 0
defaults.pcm.card 0